It's going to be a scorcher here in Sydney - 32 Deg of sticky humidity! So I thought I'd share some of my best tips for summer makeup and products I love for helping makeup look fresh and stay put even when the weather is working against you.
- Drink lots of WATER!
- Make time for Primer. The few seconds it takes to smooth on a primer is so worth it. Its light, provides a smooth base and really helps hold makeup in place. If your a low maintenance girl who wants to incorporate SPF and primer together M.A.C. Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF is perfect for you. For others who just want to prime I have a few that I really love; Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer light really has proven to be the best at holding up to high heat. I also really really love MUFE All Matt. Remember girls take into consideration your skin type and see what works best for you.
Lighten your base makeup. Just like we switch to breezy maxi dresses and linen tops we have to dress our faces with lighter makeup. First step: Swap your foundation for tinted moisturiser. Try Chantecaille Just Skin Tinted Moisturiser!! This stuff is amazing, yes its a little bit expensive and hard to find but I promise you it is the BEST! Laura Mercier's tinted moisturiser is also good and has a descent amount of coverage and great finish. Feeling a little too exposed? Brush on a little bit of powder to set, especially where you need a bit more coverage. Two more lightweight foundations which I love are M.A.C. Face and Body and Jemma Kidd Light As Air Foundation. What can I say, great coverage without the heaviness. I could rave on and on about how good they are! M.A.C. F&B is also water-resistant and dewy, dreamy finish! Ah its a love story ;)
- Bronze believably. Bronzer makes your eyes look brighter, your teeth whiter and everyone looks better with a bit of colour on them. Make sure you apply bronzer to the high points of your face where the sun would naturally hit: forehead, cheekbones, nose and chin. Do not cover your whole face! You need to add dimension not a baked cheap look. My favs are; Dior Sunshine SPF 20 Honey Matte bronzer and Nars Laguna. The Dior has amazing colour, is soft and velvety, highly pigmented and just amazing amazing amazing! Nars is absolutely incredible for the summer, the little shimmers give your face a super natural glow! So take your pick, matte or glowy?! whatever you choose make sure you sweep a little bit of bronzer on your ears so they don't stand out like two white flops ;)
- Try out vibrant colour: Besides looking summery, livelier colours brighten the face and bring a youthful glow to the skin. If your a neutrals girl, experiment with one area on your face. A punchy blush on the apples of your cheeks is a good place to start. Try Bobbi Brown blush in Pale Pink or try a cream blush: my fav is Illamasqua Rude.
- Stop shine, add glow. A oily T-zone instantly screams "I'm hot"- and not in a sexy way! To eliminate that greasy shine look nothing beats blotting papers. They are cheap, easy and amazing, just press and go. Try Too Faced Re-Fresh Oil Blotting Papers. If you need to perk up your makeup, blot first then follow with a dusting of powder with a hint of glow. (M.A.C Mineralize skin finish Natural)
- Stay-proof your eye makeup. For longer lasting shadow, avoid using eye cream on your lids and smooth on eye primer instead. It will minimize creasing and create a base for the shadow to cling to so it lasts longer. There are heaps of good ones, Urban Decay Primer Potion, Too Faced shadow insurance and even M.A.C Paint Pot in Painterly is good. Set it with powder shadows, and your good to go. My waterproof option is always MUFE Aqua Cream shadows. Also remember to pop on waterproof mascara! Try Covergirl Lashblast or Diorshow waterproof.
- Arch those brows. Eyebrows frame the face. If your eyebrows are groomed and your face is even toned, that's really all you need for the summer. To waterproof your brows, lightly fill in with brow powder or a M.A.C eyeshadow and then go over them with Benefit Shelaq to seal it. This stuff is amazing and it took me over 3 years of trial and error to finally find this! try it and you wont be sorry.
- Lushious lips. I cant stay away from my M.A.C lipsticks but in the summer if i want something waterproof my go to is MUFE waterproof lipliner in 18c. If I want bare-ish lips I use M.A.C Tinted conditioner SPF15 in Gentle Coral. This stuff will brighten up your face in seconds while treating your lips. A new find are the Clinique Chubby Sticks. These are seriously moisturising lip balms in the shape of a crayon with some good pigment! haha gotta love the Chubs. Do what you like with your lips girls, go bare, go lipglossy, just keep then conditioned and change it up!
Love & Peace Xx