For all you oily skin/acne prone girls out there your first and most important step is: a good skin care routine that you follow religiously! You cannot fix a problem by masking it, so if you have acne get it sorted. If you have pimples, its probably because you skin is being irritated by the chemicals you are putting on your face. Become more aware and start reading labels and know what your putting on your face.
- Choose a foundation a shade lighter than your skin tone, because your skin's oil will oxidise and make the foundation darker.
- Invest in a good mattifying primer - Make up Forever All Matt.
- If you have any redness or breakouts apply a green concealer after your primer and before your foundation.
- A full-coverage matte foundation is best since it will last longer without a primer than those with light or medium coverage.
- ALWAYS use a brush or sponge to apply your makeup. Using your fingers will transfer more oil to the face.
- Apply a thin layer of foundation to avoid patches and a cakey finish.
- Read the labels carefully - even though a makeup says it's for oily skin, it may contain oil, talc, and fragrances.
- Make sure your mineral makeup contains 100% pure minerals and is non-comedogenic (won't clog pores).
- Avoid products that contain oil or alcohol as these will make your skin produce more oil.
I've listed 9 foundations that I have found to work well on oily skin types. Get a sample, try it out and see which one works best for you. Remember each foundation reacts differently person to person. Drum Roll....
Dermalogica Treatment foundation
Excellent for Acne prone/breakout skin.
Non -comedogenic and formulated without artificial colours or fragrances. You can achieve your desired level of coverage while benefiting from the ultimate in skin care.
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua
Very delicate, light and feels like a "second skin". Complexion will appear even, fresh and energized. The skin will glow from within. This formula has UVB sun filter and mineral sunscreen and an SPF 15. Although it has a dewy/satin finish it works well on oily skin and does not look greasy.
Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF15
This foundation is a finely milled powder composed completely of natural elements with 15 active amino acids to clear the skin of toxins, promote healthy skin cell growth and fight the ageing process. Has a beautiful finish and really does clear up blemishes. You can built up the layers for more coverage but dont be heavy handed.
Coverage: Light to Medium
YSL Teint Resist
Extra sheer & comfortable makeup. Colour resistant, long wearing and hides pores, lines and minor imperfections. Offers basic protection from UV rays and leaves a radiant complexion. Dries to a powder finish.
Coverage: Light to medium
Georgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
This award-winning oil free foundation is so weightless it redefines foundation. It's hydrating fluid glides on effortlessly with a silky texture and all-day, build-able coverage.
Coverage: Light to Medium
Chanel Mat Lumiere
This oil-free formula delivers a soft, natural matte finish with maximum staying power. It has silica to help mattify the skin. This foundation is designed especially for people with oily to very oily skin.
Finish: Natural Matte
Coerage: Medium- buildable
Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet +
This foundation conceals skin imperfections, evens out skin and matifies with a non-oily powdery finish. The result is flawless and is long lasting. It is water-resistant and has good coverage. This new Oil-free non-comedogenic formula is suited to sensitive and breakout skin.
Finish: Matte Velvet
Coverage: Medium - Buldable
Estee Lauder Double Wear
This long wearing makeup stays fresh through heat, humidity, nonstop activity and wont change colour, smudge or transfer onto clothes. Has a SPF10 and feels comfortable on the skin.
Coverage: Medium to Full
Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation